After Joan of Arc was captured by the Duke of Burgundy in the year 1430, the English church planned to execute her on charges of witchcraft. Under an old English law, however, virgins could not be charged with witchcraft. She was instead convicted of heresy.
Daily Events for Saturday, Dec 8th, 2012
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm"Diana: A Celebration" exhibit gallery open
This 7,500 sq. ft. exhibition explores the life and humanitarian work of one of the 20th century’s most remarkable women. Diana’s life is explored through nine galleries containing 150 objects, ranging from her royal wedding gown and 28 designer dresses to family jewels, heirlooms, personal mementoes, paintings, rare home movies and photos.
“Diana: A Celebration” comes to the Frazier directly from the Althorp Estate in England, the Spencer Family’s 500-year-old ancestral home, where it is on display every summer. A portion of the proceeds generated to the Althorp Estate from the exhibition, produced by Arts & Exhibitions International, will benefit charitable causes including the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund. Click here to read more.
3rd Floor North Gallery
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pmHolidays Around the World
“Holidays Around the World” is an annual, multi-cultural tree display that celebrates holiday traditions found throughout Louisville’s diverse communities. It ranges from trees decorated as they would be in countries that observe Christmas, to cultural displays showcasing other holidays observed around the globe throughout the year. This visually-stunning and educational exhibition, featuring trees and displays, runs Thanksgiving through New Years.
First and second floors
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pmTop Drawer: 150 Years of Bittners
Experience the old world craftsmanship of handmade furniture through the 18th and 19th centuries. “Top Drawer” is a 4,000 sq. ft. exhibition that explores how a German immigrant’s custom cabinet shop became not only a Louisville tradition, but also a nationally-renowned design firm. Exquisite American, English and Continental furniture inspired by great monarchs and makers is featured, as well as the story of how the political, cultural and social forces of these periods can inspire the aesthetic of our homes. Examine fine antiques from around the world as well as master-crafted pieces produced by the Bittners custom shop.
2nd floor, north gallery
- 11:00 am - 4:00 pmSECOND SATURDAY Family Day"Holidays Around the World" December’s SECOND SATURDAY will fill the museum with the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of the holiday season. Click here for more information.
2nd floor, north gallery
- 11:00 am - 11:45 amThe Derby BoysThe Derby Boys present a program of traditional Irish music.
- 1:30 pm - 2:00 pmHand BellsSteven Straub will perform a one man show of holiday music on hand bells.
1st Floor Theater
- 3:00 pm - 4:00 pmRiver City Drum CorpsRiver City Drum Corps is a non-traditional arts and education concept which molds traditional African drumming, percussive music training, performance and cultural education into one focus.